Astronauts Virgil Grissom, Edward White, and Roger Chaffee entered the Apollo 204 spacecraft.
“Fire, I smell fire…..Fire in the cockpit…..”
A medical board determined that the astronauts died of carbon monoxide asphyxia, with thermal burns as contributing causes. The board could not say how much of the burns came after the three had died. Fire had destroyed 70% of Grissom’s spacesuit, 25% of White’s and 15% of Chaffee’s. Doctors treated 27 men for smoke inhalation. Two were hospitalized.
No procedures for this type of emergency had been established either for the crew or for the spacecraft pad work team.
The emergency equipment located in the control room and in the spacecraft were not designed for the smoke condition resulting from a fire of this nature.
Emergency fire, rescue and medical teams were not in attendance…
This is the patch that never flew.
This weekend, my job is really getting in the way of my beading. But, today, I still managed to get a little beadwork accomplished. I continued to work on the grill of my ’43 Chevy fire truck…